1. Google Tools Presentation for LA2M April 1, 2009
2. Google Tools Presentation April 1, 2009 Declan ONeill
I am a Regional Account Manager with 352 Media Group I am an Irish man living and working in Michigan, USA
– Likes – Rugby, Football (Soccer), Web Technologies
– Dislikes – People who do not use their signal indicators leading to my increased cortisol levels.
3. Google Tools: What Are They?
Google Apps or Tools is a collection of web-based programs that run in a web browser which do not require users to purchase or install software. Users must have a Google account and, once logged in, can access the tools.
4. Boring bit… … for some
5. Assumptions for #LA2M Attendees?
• I am making the assumption that everyone in this room is familiar with Google.
• I am making the assumption that everyone has used at least one of the tools from the Google Portfolio.
• Based on these two assumptions, I am going to speak briefly about the most popular tools, then go into some detail about how I think they can help you in marketing.
6. AdSense Google AdSense enables website publishers of all sizes to display
• relevant Google ads and earn revenue Video regarding how to Generate AdSense Code
• – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMG-dJ1yKt4&feature=player_embedded
7. AdSense Alternatives
• AdBrite – http://www.adbrite.com/
• Commission Junction – http://www.cj.com/
• LinkShare – http://www.linkshare.com/
• Microsoft adCenter – https://adcenter.microsoft.com/
• Federated Media – https://advertisers.federatedmedia.net/
• Yahoo Publisher Network – http://publisher.yahoo.com/
8. Google Docs Create and share your online documents, presentations, and spreadsheets
• Share and collaborate in real time
• Safely store and organize your work
• Control who can see your documents
• Google Docs in Plain English video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRqUE6IHTEA
9. Google Docs’ Alternatives
• Office Live WorkSpace (Free) http://workspace.officelive.com/
• Zoho (Free for personal use) http://www.zoho.com/
• iWork ‘09 ($99) http://www.apple.com/iwork/iwork-dot-com/
• Acrobat (Free) https://www.acrobat.com/
10. Gmail: Google’s approach to email
• Community-driven Spam Filter
• Ads – Google automatically scans e-mails to add context-sensitive advertisements to them.
• Conversations – Gmail groups all replies with the original message
• Built-in chat: text, voice, or video
• Labels – Are like folders, a conversation can be in several locations (Inbox, All Mail, Sent Mail, etc.)
• What is today’s Gmail hoax ????
11. What’s new in Gmail?
• Undo send – You can give yourself a grace period of a few seconds to cancel sending
• Offline – Make Gmail work even when you are not connected to the internet
• Tasks mobile – go to gmail.com/tasks from your mobile browser
12. Gmail Alternatives
• Yahoo mail
• MobileMe (Expensive)
13. Google Reader Google’s web-based RSS reader
• Google Reader constantly checks your favorite news sites and blogs for new content Google reader displays all of your RSS feeds in one area
• Get Feed Recommendations you might be interested in but are not yet subscribed to
14. Google Reader
• Google reader downloads your RSS feeds
• You can Recommend articles to your friends
• Add Google Reader to iGoogle
• Google Reader works on any mobile phone browser
15. Google Reader Alternatives
• Internet Explorer / Firefox / Safari
• My Yahoo
16. iGoogle is your personalized Google page.
17. iGoogle Alternatives
• My yahoo – http://my.yahoo.com/
• Net vibes – http://www.netvibes.com
• Windows Live – http://www.live.com/
• Eskobo – http://www.eskobo.com/default.aspx
• Schmedley – http://schmedley.com/
18. Google Alerts Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results
19. My Google Alerts: Mostly Clients
• FeedBurner is a web feed management tool that provides custom RSS feeds and management tools to bloggers, podcasters, and other web-based content publishers
• Feed Title: = 352 Media Group’s Recent Blogs
• Original Feed: = https://www.352inc.com/rantingandraving/BlogsRSS.aspx
• Feed Address: = http://feeds2.feedburner.com/352media/xJdR
21. FeedBurner http://feeds2.feedburner.com/352media/xJdR
22. Google Webmaster Tools
• Google’s free webmaster tools provide you with an easy way to make sure your site is more Google-friendly
• Webmaster tools can help make sure Google has access to your site.
• You can check when the Googlebot last visited
• You can automatically inform Google when you update your pages
• You can see how your site is indexed and which of your pages are currently included in the index.
23. Google Webmaster Tools – oops!
24. Google Checkout
• Integrate eCommerce functionality into your website with Google Checkout
• Email Invoices
• Google Checkout Shopping Cart
• Buy Now Buttons
• Use a third-party shopping cart
25. Google Checkout Alternatives
• PayPal – https://www.paypal.com/us/
• Amazon Simple Pay – https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/business?sn=paynow/o
• Yahoo! Merchant Solutions – http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ecommerce/
26. Google Chrome
• Google Chrome: A new web browser for Windows
• Search from the address bar
• Thumbnails of your top sites
• Private browsing
• Google Chrome for Mac is in development
27. Google Calendar
• Organize your schedule and share events with friends
• Add quick events
• Gmail integration
• Import events from other programs
• Event reminders
• Make your calendars public and searchable by other users
• Sync your Google Calendar with your Microsoft OutlookTM calendar
28. Local Business Center
• Use the
Local Business Center to create your free listing.
• When potential customers search Maps for local information, they will find your business Help custome
rs find you on Google Maps
• Update your listing at any time
• Dial 1-800-GOOG-411 from any phone (1-800-466-4411)
• State the location and business type
• Connect to the business for free
• GOOG-411 uses listing information provided by Google Maps. So if you are not listed on Google maps you will not be listed GOOG-411
30. Google Code: open source software
• Google Code is Google’s site for developers interested in Google-related/open-source development.
– The KIWI Kit is 352 Media Group’s first CSS framework and site template designed to help developers create consistent styles that are both standards compliant and logically structured
Get the Code – http://code.google.com/p/kiwiframework/downloads/list
• Download the code and use it for your next project. » @pxleyes created this framework – Follow him on Twitter!
31. The good stuff… … I hope!
32. FeedBurner BuzzBoost
• BuzzBoost re-publishes your burned feed’s content as go-anywhere HTML.
• Want to promote your blog on another site you manage?
see example http://www.intestionalfortitude.com/LA2M/BuzzBoost.html
• Offer feeds via email updates –
33. Google Docs’ In action
I created a Google docs’ form, and then asked attendees to fill it out.
– By using some generated code I embedded the form into a web page
<iframe src=”http://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?key=pVBO8pIIM1Wiy3Axv2RzYFg” width=”500” height=”1195” frameborder=”0” marginheight=”0” marginwidth=”0”>Loading…</iframe>
You can see the embedded form here http://www.intestionalfortitude.com/LA2M/google-docs-form.html
You can see the results on a spreadsheet here http://www.intestionalfortitude.com/LA2M/google-docs.html
34. Google Webmaster Tools
Get Google’s view of your site and diagnose problems
• Submit a Sitemap to tell Google about pages on your site
• Verify a site by adding code like this to your site’s homepage
<meta name=”verify-v1” content=”Co2DM9krxor+hWr8PQWEBHDKIGNobaDf7XITqJG9hsA=” />
• Web Crawl — See errors and problems encountered by Google’s crawlers Top Search Queries
• See which search queries are the most often returned pages from your site and which of them were clicked See which pages on your site have links directing users from other sites.
35. Local Business Center
When potential customers search Maps for local information, they will find your business: your address, hours of operation, even photos of your storefront or products. It is free and you do not need a website to add your information Add Locations
• View Stats on Impressions and page Views
• Add coupons
• Add customer reviews to local business “good or bad,” this will help the community make informed decisions whether or not to use a local company i.e. Plumbers, etc. –
36. Google Sites
Can be used to build RFPs online and add updates.
• Collaborate with team members
• Create private members only areas or create user access
• privileges Google Sites web address can be changed from
• http://sites.google.com/site/example/ to http://www.example.com by updating the CNAME records
37. Google Analytics
• Google Analytics analyzes your traffic, where it comes from, and what it does once it enters your site
• Custom Reports
• Keyword and Campaign Comparison
• Ecommerce Tracking
38. Google Alerts
• Set up alerts for clients
• Set up alerts for competitors
• Set up alerts for your product offerings
• Set up alerts for companies you are trying to sell too
39. Useful Google Links
• Home Page http://www.google.com/
• Wiki Page – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Tools
• Submit URL – http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
• Search Cheat Sheet – http://www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html
• Google Products – http://www.google.com/options/
41. Thank You and Questions
Get these Slides
• Contact Me firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-846-2352
• Follow me
– @declanon (with care — I have no filter on my personal account)
– @352AnnArbor (to keep up to date with all things 352 Ann Arbor)
• Learn more about 352 Media Group staging.352inc.com